Thursday, April 15, 2004

B"H

The Way Israel Ought To Be

This evening I was talking to my husband Dan and said to him: "You know when I came to Israel I was carrying the whole set of mythological luggage that Jews carry here from wherever they come from. I believed all the hype that Jews are taught about Jews, Judaism and the Land of Israel. After 21 years of living here all of my fantasies and illusions about Jews, Judaism and the Land of Israel have blown up in my face one after one, until none remained.

Today, I go out in the street and as I look around my heart bursts with love and joy at being here one among these people for absolutely no reason at all. That is unconditional love, and I couldn't have come to it it until I became bereft of all of my wishes, dreams and illusions of what being Jewish, Judaism and living in Israel should be.

Doreen