Wednesday, April 21, 2004

B"H

Mega-Messages

I got into a cab the driver of which took me the long way to a place
and then overcharged me. An everyday experience, right? Nothing to
get upset about, right?

I don't take these little experiences in stride like most people do.
I certainly don't take them with a "next turn'll be mine" attitude. I
hear a mega-message. I see a world of spiritual abuse when things
like that happen. It felt like an earthquake, yet another earthquake,
on the spiritual level.

To me such dealings undermine all foundations of trust. If we cannot
trust one another, what can we trust?

Such dealings with one another push us to become canny, wary, hard,
on the look out, sophisticated - the very traits which take us the
furthest from being able to experience The Holy. They rob us of our
innocence, our spontaneity, our subtlety, our ingenuousness. I felt
robbed of far, far more than just a few shekels. I felt that that man
tried to plunder me of spiritual treasures.

Do any of you experience what other people think of as the "normal"
vagaries of life like that?

If so, how do you handle it?

I, for one, have been told to grow a thicker skin for as long as I
can remember. I refuse to steadfastly. First because I don't want to
become spiritually comatose. Second, losing touch with my Soul would
be the ultimate victory of the spiritually/morally walking dead over
me, and I won't give 'em the satisfaction. I'm gonna live, no matter
how much it hurts.

Doreen