Sunday, April 23, 2006

Are Women Today Free?

Someone on another (open) board asked:

"I know what you’re all thinking. “Of course women are free how could you even question it?” or somewhere along the lines of that. Certainly women are now freer since the feminist movement in the 60’s-70’s era. They can now take on jobs while taking care of the kids. More women are now entering male dominated employment. Women can express their opinions and beliefs without getting punished for it—unlike some third world countries where it is condemned. I know very well there are lot more things to add (I know someone will indeed list more things than I have done here) but I also want to state the other side of the argument. As I was reading the newspaper the other day I noticed a lot of things that will contradict that women aren’t all that free after all. There is a constant pressure that women always have to look good, act like your stereotypical woman. You all know what that is. Increasingly, now, more aging women are considering the wonders of Botox. They are also spending a huge amount of money on plastic surgery, breast implants, ‘tummy tucks” etc. I know men do the same, but not in the same quantity. In Australia, women have been getting confused messages from the government and medical officials about HRT (hormone replacement therapy), the fight for paid maternity leave, health care and fertility. The government is blaming them because apparently women should have known better before putting pills in their mouth-- that a trusting doctor prescribed for them Not just in Australia but also in other Western countries, women are being harshly blamed for following their ambitions and heading for a full-time career. Then when they hit their 30’s they find out that it’s harder for conception. But I guess it’s their own fault huh? So the question: “Are women really free or do they still have some things to overcome?”

Quote:
To be successful, a woman has to be much better at her job than a man." -Golda Meir

Quote:
The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says: 'It's a girl. -Shirley Chisholm"

I responded:

The freedoms are there. Her freedom depends upon how each individual woman designs her life. Priority one for me was always learning. Keeping that priority ever in mind, I designed my life to allow the maximum amount of learning. I married a man who dedicated his talents to developing mine. I had only two children. I never worked more than part-time. I do not spend money on luxury vacations, fancy housing, furnishings, clothes, hair-dos, make-up and certainly not surgery or frivolities. I do not allow Wall Street to determine what the essentials in my life are. My extra money goes into books, disks and other learning materials. I do not waste my time exercising or doing other meaningless activities. I come to the boards only after I'm too tired to do productive work. I am extremely free and I live just as I wish to. If I bought into the beauty and materialistic culture I would be a slave. My advice to any woman, or man, who wants to be maximally free is: 1) Prioritorize and keep your sights on your main priorities. 2) Simplify your life to the maximum.

Doreen Ellen Bell-Dotan, Tzfat, Israel
DoreenDotan@gmail.com