Monday, April 11, 2005

B"H

LACHMA ANYA

For years I used to buy "shmurah matzah" wanting to be the best Jew I could. We bought hand made shmurah matzah, sometimes paying as much as 120 kilos for it. Something about spending about 80-120 Shekels a kilo on "lachma anya" (bread of poverty) gnawed at me though. I knew I was kidding myself and not acting in the true spirit of Pesach. I came to the conclusion that this is a travesty. Shmurah matzah is just one of the "chidushim" (religious innovations) of recent times aimed at keeping the religious communities dependent upon the Rabbis by povertizing them.

The packages that are delivered to the poor in Israel before Pesach contain regualar, store-bought matzah. If that lachma anya is good enough for them, it's good enough for us.

I bought regular matzah this year and intend to do so in the future.

Regular matzah also make the best k'neidlach, BTW :0).

Chag Kasher, Same'ach and Ken (Honest)

Doreen Ellen Bell-Dotan, Tzfat