Thursday, April 19, 2012


MEDITATION

Today, with God's Help, I understood what meditation is.

I always thought that I don't meditate. The idea of sitting and doing nothing but thinking a thought over and over or doing "visualizations" makes me feel uncomfortable. I would worry about the people who are suffering while I sat there and tried to commune with God.

And then, this morning, as I woke I suddenly understood that I have been doing meditation for years. I just didn't recognize it as such.

Every day I think the same thought, every day and all the day and night long: What can I do to make this world better? Whom can I help today? What do I need to do and know to alleviate someone's suffering.

That *is* my meditation. That is my repetitive thought.

We don't have to be sitting and meaning to meditate to meditate.

Every thought we think repetitively is a meditation. Everything we say over and over again and think over and over again and do over and over again is a meditation.

If our deeds, our words, our thoughts are Holy and loving, God's light is revealed to us whether we ask for it or not, whether we meant to meditate or not. Enlightenment is a BY-PRODUCT , not the goal of living a Holy life.

If our repetitive thoughts are dark or meaningless or selfish, by the same process, God will endarken us.

Doreen Ellen Bell-Dotan, Tzfat, Israel
Doreen Dotan@gmail.com