Tuesday, January 24, 2006

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW AGAINST SICKENING IMAGES AND MENTAL IMAGES

There ought to be a law against submitting people to the mental and emotional distress of seeing horrific pictures or exposing them to horrific descriptions that become indelible memories and often scar us emotionally for years, even for life for the express purpose of shocking them.

I remember as a child I suffered from this horribly. People would talk about all kinds of violent and traumatizing things in my presence and my young imagination would be ignited and I would get burnt - bad. TV would give me night horrors.

Why is it OK for papers to publish photos that, even if one doesn't read the paper and the eye falls on them perchance, leave one sickened?

Why is it OK for someone to write some of the stuff that Snopes refutes and send it around the net for countless millions to be sickened by and have the mental picture in one's mind forever?

I call that assault and battery.

There are sites for people who like all kind of sick stuff. Let the people who want that go there, just like people who like physical violence can go to wrestling matches.

And leave the rest of our psyches alone!

DoreenEllen Bell-Dotan, Tzfat, Israel

DoreenDotan@gmail.com